Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Osaka to Nagoya

It's a slow day for me because we didn't do any sight seeing. We didn't leave the hotel until 9am, and dad had some unfinished business in Osaka. We left Osaka for Nagoya via the Shinkansen (bullet train lines) around 3pm.

I am going a bit nuts here without anyone to talk to except for my dad. When we have dinner/meeting with others, I sit there twiddling my thumb. It's worse than sitting there by myself because then at least I can read or watch other people. I hate it when someone laughs in a conversation that I think involves me. It's a really vulnerable position to be in! It's a good lesson for myself to never do this to someone who doesn't understand the predominate language spoken. This is exactly why I try not to speak Chinese while I have friends around who doesn't understand it.

Although most Japanese knows some English, I often found myself unable to say anything because I had no idea where to start. I really should have learned at least travel-level conversation Japanese... I don't know why I didn't purchase a phrase book ahead of time; it would have been somewhat helpful.

Another thing I noticed today is that all the pictures I have rarely included other people (but I do have one taken today with my dad's psychology professor - a real gentleman - and our waitress). As I mentioned, I didn't talk to many people except for my dad (Mr. Ozaki who took me around Osaka yesterday spoke very little English) so I feel like a passive observer of the culture. This trip is so different than the Mexico trip this past Spring where John and I tried to speak to the locals and not caring so much as to what sights we see. Although, I at least know some Spanish...

Oh yeah, a typhoon landed today in Japan. So far, it has been nice cooling breeze and drizzles. Hope it won't get too intense when we visit the Aichi World Expo tomorrow, maybe it would be a blessing by turning some visitors away :P.

0 Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

--Copyleft Henry--